ID:183297

What do you think will happen?

I don't think there'll be the end of time, I think big changes are going to happen. It's so scary, they said on the radio that the oracle that they get this prediction isn't even human, there called Webbots which predicted the sunomy & 911 & other things that happened in the 21st century.

Believe me, if the world does end, on December 21st, 2012 I'll take sleeping pills & sleep the whole day so I don't see, hear and/or remember anything.

I also come from a religious family.. so how is Jesus supposed to come & judge us by our sins if let life live on if the world is going to be destroyed?? I don't get this.. it's very confusing & scary.. I'll be 20-21 years old. I have my life all planned out & I may not even be able to live it..

Scientists say that the Big Bang theory they have is almost the same as the end.. A Big bang of a meteoroid that's been heading here for a millions of years.. I wish I lived back in 480B.C.

This comes with the question of, "Is god real?" That's a bad question from coming up in a Mormon family(Mom's side, we're not Mormon put my grandparents are. I just believe in god.).

If they know for sure we'll all die December 21st, 2012. Then I'll drop out of school now & just do my own thing, live my life to the fullest & as much as I can.. I am defenitly scared..

Quote:
Metaphysical predictions
2012 is sometimes claimed to be a great year of spiritual transformation (or apocalypse). Many esoteric sources interpret the completion of the thirteenth B'ak'tun cycle in the Long Count of the Maya calendar (which occurs on December 21 by the most widely held correlation) to mean there will be a major change in world order.

Polar Shift is a theory that on December 21st 2012 Earth will experience earthquakes, volcanic eruptions or other natural disasters.
Accordingly, several eclectic authors claim that a major, world-changing event will take place in 2012:

The 1995 book The Mayan Prophecies linked the Maya calendar with long-period sunspot cycles.
The book 2012: Mayan Year of Destiny claims the Maya may have been instructed in their wisdom by discarnate entities from Orion and the Pleiades. Contact was maintained through shamanic rituals conducted in accordance with the movements of planets and stars.
However, Mayan priests living and working in Guatemala aver that the so-called Mayan Prophecy for 2012, as touted by various foreign New Agers who have no knowledge of Mayan culture, language, or religion, is twaddle.
The 1997 book The Bible Code claims that, according to certain algorithms of the Bible code, a meteor, asteroid or comet will collide with the Earth.
The book The Nostradamus Code speaks of a series of natural disasters caused by a comet (possibly as above) that will allow the third Antichrist to disperse his troops around the globe under the guise of aid in preparation for a possible nuclear war, although in the strictest sense it is unspecific as to nuclear war or some other natural or man caused destruction.
The book The Orion Prophecy claims that the Earth's magnetic field will reverse.
The 2005 book Beyond 2012: Catastrophe or Ecstasy by Geoff Stray reviews several theories, prophecies and predictions concerning 2012 and finds where authors have used faulty information or have bent the truth to fit their theories.
The 2006 book 2012: The Return of Quetzalcoatl by Daniel Pinchbeck discusses theories of a possible global awakening to psychic connection by the year 2012, creating a noosphere.
The 2007 book Apocalypse 2012: A Scientific Investigation into Civilization's End by Lawrence Joseph does not make any specific new predictions, but it reviews a number of 2012 predictions made by various sources, and presents arguments for the possible existence of dangerous positive feedback loops involving solar storms, Earth's magnetic field, cosmic rays, hurricanes, global warming, earthquakes, and supervolcanoes that may be on the verge of erupting.
Other prophecies and apocalyptic writings and hypotheses for this year include:

Terence McKenna's mathematical novelty theory suggests a point of singularity in which humankind will go through a great shift in consciousness.
The Prophecy of the Popes, attributed to Saint Malachy, speculated that Pope Benedict XVI would reign during the beginning of the tribulation of which Jesus spoke, and sometime later a future pope described in the prophecy as "Peter the Roman", the last in this prophetic list, would appear, bringing as a result the destruction of the city of Rome and the Last Judgment.
Some proponents of a peak oil catastrophe place major events in 2012. Richard C. Duncan's book The Peak of World Oil Production and the Road To The Olduvai Gorge claims that the Olduvai cliff will begin and permanent blackouts will occur worldwide. Several studies predict a peak in oil production in or around 2012. [10] [11] [12]
Some alien-enthusiasts (e.g. Riley Martin), along with some new-agers, believe 2012 to correspond approximately with the return of alien "watchers" or "caretakers" who might have helped the first human civilizations with developing their technology and may have been waiting for us to reach a higher level of technological and/or social advancement. Beliefs range from the extra-terrestrials having benevolent purposes — such as to help human society evolve — to malevolent purposes — such as enslavement of mankind and/or manipulation.
There is a Hindu following indicating the appearance of an Avatar (God in human form) with God-like powers who will herald a new age. A website to this effect appears at: End of the World 2012.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012
If you're going to link to wikipedia, at LEAST link to a more relevant article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Mesoamerican_Long_Count_calendar#2012_and_the_Long_Count

Quote:
"Despite the publicity generated by the 2012 date, Susan Milbraath, curator of Latin American Art and Archaeology at the Florida Museum of Natural History, stated that 'We [the archaeological community] have no record or knowledge that [the Maya] would think the world would come to an end' in 2012."
In response to Destroy
Destroy wrote:
If you're going to link to wikipedia, at LEAST link to a more relevant article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Mesoamerican_Long_Count_calendar#2012_and_the_Long_Count

Quote:
"Despite the publicity generated by the 2012 date, Susan Milbraath, curator of Latin American Art and Archaeology at the Florida Museum of Natural History, stated that 'We [the archaeological community] have no record or knowledge that [the Maya] would think the world would come to an end' in 2012."

Maybe not the Mayanz but the thing about their calender, counted all the eclipse in the world & it all ended up at December 21st, 2012.. Which we take as the end of the world.
I say bah humbug.
In response to LilMain
This is an interesting topic I've talked about it many times with different people at home and college everyone has there views but the important thing is not to put this in front of your life. I believe this could be something important but it could be anything just read up on the singularity or even human ascension not the Christian one but one that we evolve to the point where we are able to shred our mortal body's and become beings of pure energy.

Yorae
In response to Yorae
Yorae wrote:
This is an interesting topic I've talked about it many times with different people at home and college everyone has there views but the important thing is not to put this in front of your life. I believe this could be something important but it could be anything just read up on the singularity or even human ascension not the Christian one but one that we evolve to the point where we are able to shred our mortal body's and become beings of pure energy.

Yorae

Problem.. I am not good with big words & logical sentences.. can you put that in different words to make sense to me?

Thanks.
Why wait? Take those sleeping pills now with a heavy dose of vodka!

I think people who believe in this sort of thing are poisoning our culture. Between the 2012 B.S., NWO conspiracy theories and global warming scams, fundies from every walk of life are quickly confusing issues and making false claims in the name of thier beliefs. What's worse, it's starting to become very hard to find a reasonable person who doesn't hold some far-flung idiotic belief they read on the interweb, or heard over a pint at the local pub.

And if you read an article with the words esoteric and eclectic in conjunction with the words expert or official, feel free to dismiss the whole diatribe as a complete falacy, and most likely a bold-faced lie constructed for the sole purpose of making some scamming shmuck a boatload of cash.

The world will not end anytime soon. It is now safe to turn on your brain.

~X
In response to LilMain
Translation: Don't worry. Continue on with your life.
Let's see, we lived through the year 2000 and 06-06-06 so nah I'm not worried..
Hyperventilate much? There have been countless erroneous Armageddon prophecies. Even the 2012 is a huge distortion- the Mayan "calendar" is actually a series of calendars and almanac cycles. 2012 marks the end of the recorded long cycle system. Essentially, it marks the end of an age. Much like a millenial change, it may be marked with fanfare, but in reality, denotes little actual change.

Live like there is no tomorrow- but be prepared in case there is ;-)
In response to Jmurph
This is fake none of this will happen before any of that happens the 7th indicator of judjment day must apear it hasnt appeared meaning the world wont end anytime soon, although this is the last indicator to apear, also the obbsesion with the number 23 is just a coninsidence its not really also sleeping pills wont help you when judjment day comes no one will sleep everyone will be running is horror so there now you have new facts before you decide when the world will end.

- Miran94
Lohan4president2012
A prophecy is a prophecy. In most cases when some guy from a 100 years ago somehow manages to predict a prophecy I usually cry quincedence.

The fact is, we could die at any second of our lives, heck,the world itself could be destroyed at any moment due to any number of reasons, some of them we may not even comprehend.

If you spend your entire life worrying about your own demise or the world's fate, when the time finally does come, you are going to look back on the time wasted and hate yourself for it.
See you January 1st, 2013, when absolutely nothing has happened.

I'm reminded of that nutty guy who thought demons would invade one 6/6/06. Pagantruth, that's the name.
In response to Xooxer
Global warming is not a 'scam'. The physics is very, very easy - you can take a set of first-order differential equations that model the atmosphere and demonstrate that there is at least good reason to believe that adding CO2 to the atmosphere (Or other heat-trapping gases) can increase the average temperature at ground level.

In fact, it's the only current theory that makes sense out of all the data we've got so far - one of the layers of Earth's atmosphere is actually getting colder as the rest of them get warmer. The CO2-causes-warming idea is the only one that actually predicts that.

There's a reason the vast majority of climate scientists are debating about the effects - more hurricanes or less hurricanes? Precisely how much will sea levels rise? - then the actual event. It does happen. It will happen - there's some unavoidable amount of climatic disturbance relating to the greenhouse gases we've already put into the air. And it will cause serious economic and social problems - and worse, those problems tend to be worse in third-world countries. Most of Africa and India gets hit particularly hard by rising sea levels combined with the other climatic effects.
In response to Jp
A.K.A. Jamesburrow
They're on to me...
In response to Jp
No, I mean the "solutions". And it may not be all that bad. Seems the NASA climate data had a little Y2K bug which made the data look worse than it was. That's not to say there isn't a warming trend, it's just not the catastrophy people are espousing. And things like ethenol and other biofuels are probably worse than gasoline, as far as CO2 goes, since they're less efficient. Besides, have you ever smelled a vehicle that runs on vegetable oil? No bueno, mi amigo.

~X

In response to Jp
Jp wrote:
Global warming is not a 'scam'. The physics is very, very easy - you can take a set of first-order differential equations that model the atmosphere and demonstrate that there is at least good reason to believe that adding CO2 to the atmosphere (Or other heat-trapping gases) can increase the average temperature at ground level.

It's not a scam, but it's a fad and it's got a lot of junk science (or no science at all) backing it up. There's undoubtedly some good science in there too, but it's lost in the sea of crap. Scientists actually are nowhere near a true consensus on the issue, Al Gore's hysterical claims to the contrary. It's one of the inevitable laws of science-meets-politics: Science gets drowned out by advocacy groups, and things they don't like to hear are dismissed as nonsense.

A first-order equation isn't gonna tell you squat about the atmosphere, because it's a lot more complicated than that. There are many, many variables involved, whose roles we don't understand at all. We have little reliable data for many of them. Even our temperature data is only about a century old, not enough to predict long-term climate swings, and we've recently discovered that a lot of temperature sensors have been placed incorrectly (like near air conditioning vents, or with improper footings) in ways that badly skew their results.

In fact, it's the only current theory that makes sense out of all the data we've got so far - one of the layers of Earth's atmosphere is actually getting colder as the rest of them get warmer. The CO2-causes-warming idea is the only one that actually predicts that.

We have computer models, but not much good data. Recently Freeman Dyson gave an interview in which he talked about how we just have no good data at all on CO2 sequestration in soil, and this is a huge factor in any approach we may take, even in determining if humans are at fault for global warming. He predicts in fact that understanding this process would give us far more control over CO2 levels in the atmosphere than any other likely approach, essentially letting us control the carbon level at will.

This concept that we have a great deal of data collected all telling us the same thing is an enormous myth. We have a fraction of the data needed to understand the issue, some of which is faulty, and we know with certainty that there are other variables we just can't account for with that data.

There's a reason the vast majority of climate scientists are debating about the effects - more hurricanes or less hurricanes? Precisely how much will sea levels rise? - then the actual event. It does happen. It will happen - there's some unavoidable amount of climatic disturbance relating to the greenhouse gases we've already put into the air.

Or is it related more to solar changes? Again, we don't have the data. Advocacy groups have been pushing the idea that global warming Is The Truth like a religion, but science remains noncommittal.

One reason for debating the effects is that it's just naturally bound up in debating the causes. But predictions on this have swung wildly in every direction, and will continue to do so until climate science evolves considerably. And it's hard for a science to make progress when one conclusion of many is treated as gospel.

Lummox JR
Aluminum foil is best used for wrapping food in your freezer.

Seriously, dude, Mayans? They couldn't even predict the end of their world. I can think of lots of sources I'd trust over a bunch of barbarians who, despite some limited mathematical know-how, were keen on human sacrifice as the end-all of religious revelation.

Don't even get me started on Nostradamus.

Lummox JR
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6