ID:166193

Which parts would you mainly recommend reading in the dm guide? Becuase i really want to improve my coding skills
all. twice. very thouroghly.
In response to Xx Dark Wizard xX
Xx Dark Wizard xX wrote:

Ok i will read later tonight but im quite slow reader and dont usually take everything any tips what i should do whilst reading the guide?
All of it? The DM Guide isn't really categoried as to how hard it is, so you can't really just say "Oh, read Chapter 5 for the hard stuff" or anything like that.

I recommend attempting to just read the whole thing. I'll admit, although I own a physical copy of it, I have yet to read the whole thing.
In response to Rickoshay
Try to use what the ysay in the book in your own way. Practice stuff.
In response to Rickoshay
When they give examples of things; first read it, then understand it and then repeat it in your own DM environment without looking at the guide. Then check how close your version is to the one in the example and if you're really keen, try to make your own example using similar processes (think of what YOU would do if you were asked to write an example).
In response to Rickoshay
Rickoshay wrote:
Xx Dark Wizard xX wrote:

Ok i will read later tonight but im quite slow reader and dont usually take everything any tips what i should do whilst reading the guide?

In addition to the recommended practice-as-you-go strategy, I'll recommend you read all of Dark Wizard's post again, "very thoroughly." ;)

First:
all.
That's the most important part. Don't try to skip around to do some spot-learning of the language. Guaranteed failure, mate.

You're a slow reader that doesn't take in everything? Covered:
twice.
Huzzah! Read it multiple times if you didn't catch what was said the first time through. ;)

Think slow reading is a bad thing? Covered:
very thoroughly.
When you're reading "very thoroughly," you'll want to read it slower. That way, you don't miss important details. The important thing is how much of the text you can comprehend, not how much text you can read in a minute's time.

Hiead
In response to DeathAwaitsU
DeathAwaitsU wrote:
When they give examples of things; first read it, then understand it and then repeat it in your own DM environment without looking at the guide. Then check how close your version is to the one in the example and if you're really keen, try to make your own example using similar processes (think of what YOU would do if you were asked to write an example).

Right. One of my favorite learning techniques is the do-it-yourself method. When you learn a new concept, make yourself a little demo. You don't have to release it to others, and I would in fact discourage that until you get much more experience, but you could maybe have a more experienced prgorammer look it over and offer advice should you so desire (post your demo on the forum asking for comments/critique).
The DM Guide is a book meant to be read througjh completely; however, you must not read faster than you are able to effectively. The goal of the DM Guide is to teach the reader a programming language, much in the same way that the goal of a math textbook is to teach the reader math. You wouldn't read a math textbook as fast as you can, would you? Sure, you could, but you wouldn't gen nearly as much out of it as you would were you to go slowly and curiously through each subsection, picking up all the information you can and doing exercises to reinforce it. The DM Guide is meant to be read that way; the catch being that you make the exercises.

Every fact is important. You won't know for a very long time what you could have skipped over in the guide and learned later, so you'd better learn it all.

Go as slowly as you need to. Take your time; you have your whole life if you want to spend it that way (this is really about learning to program, which is really about learning new perspectives and ways of thinking).
In response to Danial.Beta
Can you still get a physical copy of it?
In response to Drumersl
There's a few ways, you can ask about the Blue Book (hardcopy of the DM Guide) in a support ticket. To send a support ticket go to http://www.byond.com/support/support.cgi if Tom's around he may or may not send you a copy, they're something like $12.00 USD plus shipping.

There's also a PDF version of the guide, so you can print it and make your own hard-copy while retaining the same page structure as the Blue Book.
In response to Nadrew
The blue book is out off date i think..
In response to Yorae
Since they use cafepress for clothing, they could always put the Blue Book on there also. They do publishing also. It isn't exactly professional quality but it is something.
In response to Drumersl
True, but I think the main problem with the Blue Book is that it is now out of date. It was wrote a good while back and would need to be mostly rewrote if they wanted to start selling it again. You wouldn't want to spend money on something only to learn that it is completely out, would you? When I bought the Blue Book, it was still up to date, or at least mostly, and was a nice, professionally printed version.
In response to Danial.Beta
It still teaches you what you need to know. It doesent mention everything since it was for byond 2.0. Then try to makes test worlds using stuff from the refence, combine stuff also. Like make a combination of different stuff. Like block and locate or, while and new.
In response to Xx Dark Wizard xX
That's why it's best to just use the online version, it's more current.