ID:270669

Make a DMI file's graphics appear in my DMP file?

I dont know how to make the things I drew appear in my Map.
You need to learn how to code.
You code the turf/obj/mob and place it on the map.

You should be more specific on what you mean, do you not know how to code it? Or just place it on the map.

To place it on the map, after you coded the things you want to be on the map you add open the map file and on the left you will see a list of avaliable things to add to the map.

In response to Sniper Joe
Uh, I cant figure out how to put graphics i've made in the map.
In response to Blade of Evil
Is this line correct?

turf/grass icon 'name here.dmi'
Not quite. Try this instead:

turf
grass
icon = 'name here.dmi'

I suggest you read Zilal's BYOND Tutorial.
In response to Crispy
How do I add a character sprite I've made?
uh..

mob
Login()
src.icon = 'iconname.dmi'
src.loc = locate(1,1,1)
In response to Yami_Marik0
No. That's only for the player.

mob
whatever_you_want_to_call_it
icon = 'Whatever.dmi'
icon_state = "whatever state"
Now another question, what is the code for a turn-based battle system? Also, waht is the code for a random-battle-generator?
Blade of Evil wrote:
waht is the code for a random-battle-generator?

There is no "the" code. Only snippets of how you want it.
In response to Mysame
Okay, where is the "SNIPPET" of the codes i need?

Next time try helping.
How about no.

We are not going to give you half of your game. Especially because it's a half that's greatly dependent on how you want to run the game.

These forums are NOT for people to tell you every little thing you have to do. They're for you to learn. You're not learning.

Read the guide, and learn how to do it yourself.
In response to Jp
Jp wrote:
How about no.

We are not going to give you half of your game. Especially because it's a half that's greatly dependent on how you want to run the game.

These forums are NOT for people to tell you every little thing you have to do. They're for you to learn. You're not learning.

Read the guide, and learn how to do it yourself.

Thank you Jp, if you didnt say it I sure as **** would of. Seriously new people, look up what tutorials mean.
In response to Tazor07
That guide is rubbish, it takes 400 years to read and you learn nothing.

I need the part of the code I need now, now next year.
[Personal insults are not acceptable under the Community Standards]

That guide is what taught me how to program in DM, to some extent. Experience did the rest. You learn NOTHING if we give you random 'codes' - especially considering that giving you this section of code is essentially writing your game for you. We are not writing 400 lines of code to your exacting specifications just to help. Once again - learn to program.

Oh, and learn to read faster.
In response to Jp
To the last line: Why?

Put the guide in like, a setence or two, I cant read 44 thousand pages of rubbish when I can get the codes I need from you guys.
Blade of Evil wrote:

Put the guide in like, a setence or two, I cant read 44 thousand pages of rubbish when I can get the codes I need from you guys.

Not everyone has the time to help you.

If you learn it by yourself, your game would progress much faster.

Why would people do the work for you, when you give them nothing in return?
Because if it takes 400 years for you to read the Guide, then you're reading pretty durn slowly.

It's impossible to slim the guide down that much. It's already pretty small, for all that it covers. It runs through the basic syntax of DM, and then several important procedures you need to know of. Once you have that, programming is easy.

And here's the thing: We cannot give you "the turn based code". It doesn't exist.
Blade of Evil wrote:

Stop acting as an idiot. Thank you.

You said you can get "the codes" from us? What about "no"? These forums are here to push you in the correct direction, but if you have the stupid idea of letting the community write you a game so you can take all credit, then something in your head is not functioning correctly. The developer community will only slightly help you with issues, but will never do the entire work for you. And you call yourself a programmer? If someone who comes to a forum and asks everyone to do the work for you is a programmer, then I claim frogs to be purple with white lines on them.

If you do not have the patience to write your own code(that's what a programmer does: writes his own code), then stop attempting to create games. Because you will never succeed.

Also, asking for "a code" here is the same as asking for "a bread" in a bakery. You seem to think that for every aspect of a game there is "a" general code that everyone uses. WRONG! No, everyone writes his own code, and every piece of code is unique: it's made customly by the programmer. There is no such thing as "a battle code". So once more: Everyone writes his own code, and every piece of code is unique. Simple as that.

I suggest that you read TheCode. And don't reply back crying "I don't want to read something with thousands of words that takes hours of reading", that is considered exageration, and will only express the idiotic part of you.

If you truly wish to receive help from this community, then you need to change your behavior. Because you're heading into the wrong direction, miles away from the correct one.

O-matic
Yami_Marik0 wrote:
uh..

> mob
> Login()
> src.icon = 'iconname.dmi'
> src.loc = locate(1,1,1)

(edit)please close your dm tags. They screwed up my post.(/edit)

You don't need all that, and he probably wasn't ready for that anyway.
You can just set the icon at compile-time with
mob
icon = 'icon.dmi'

just the same as you do with anything else.

If you want to seperate players from other types of mobs, you can just make a /mob/player type and set world/mob to /mob/player.
mob
player
icon = 'icon.dmi'
world
mob = /mob/player

Then the default type of mob that a player will get when connecting will be this /mob/player, so that the base /mob type doesn't have player information clashing with enemy or NPC information.
Page: 1 2