ID:276940

I was just reading over the DM and it seemed like a rather large vocabulary, any thoughts? I was thinking like 23.
Well, it wasn't all added it once. It took some time to get the kind of functionality we have now. They Dan and Tom are great.

I think they started out in 1996 and made DUNG. Then, in 2000, it became known as BYOND. Or something like that. I'd say 21.
They were finishing tertiary education.
In response to Jp
aka in college.
I think Dan was roughly 30ish and Tom was newly created. Then Dan went and got married and so reprogrammed Tom to take over BYOND for him. After which he faked his death, framed Nadrew for it, and departed on a permanent honeymoon.
In response to Nyck
No, tertiary education. Don't get your america-centric ideas all over this thread! :P

Pretty much everywhere else calls it 'university', I think you'll find.
In response to Jp
A university is a college. <_<

Here in America anyway.
In response to CaptFalcon33035
CaptFalcon33035 wrote:
A university is a college. <_<

Here in America <s>anyway.</s> only.

Fixed.
In response to Crispy
Well, we classify them differently. There are community colleges, universities, Trade Schools, and Art schools.

Community colleges are two year schools and sometimes much cheaper than a university that you go to for four years. And the degree you get is much less valuable. You get an associates degree for two years, and a bachelor's degree for four years.

Then you have Trade Schools and Art Schools. They are basically like a magnet program for colleges. You go there for specific training in one area so you can get a job in that area. Automotive Repair Schools are trade schools. However, other skills aren't honed enough and it would be hard to get a job in another feild unless you go back to college. These schools usually only last one year, but they can last longer than two.
Great.
While it is commonly believed that DanTom is just an amalgamation of the creator's name's, the shameful truth is that DanTom created them! DanTom is actually an entity from beyond the stars that lives outside of time. Totally unconcerned with the comings and goings of mere mortals, it could easily destroy our meager existence unintentionally, like an elephant might step on an ant. Mad beings (often cult like in organization and called "Members") might try to gain the attention of this alien entity in some misguided search for power or knowledge but, thankfully, have been unsuccessful to date.

A few have witnessed the madness of the visage of DanTom and yet survived, though their sanity is certainly questionable. These "Gurus" gather in secret to plot unknown schemes to bring about the return of the DanTom and it's countless starspawn. At their head are the mysterious beings know as Dan and Tom. Some reports indicate that one of the pair has apparently joined with a mate to no doubt produce more spawn. What hellish results this union may produce threaten to unhinge even the sturdiest constitution and may make the tragic events in the Arkham area look like a nostalgic reminder of a better time. Presumably, the other continues to seek the return of their dark father and continues to gather those ruthless, or insane, enough to follow into the mouth of madness.

Do not look long into these things; there is only danger! Already I they seek after me for what I have revealed. I have seen the bubbling broods hidden beneath the ice in New Foundland. I have stumbled and run in blind terror from the vaults of Matzlan and the ancient horrors within. I have battled against the Gug in dream visions, accompanied by a hunter with crystal eyes. Now, I must fight the voices that haunt the shadows, unseen wings flitting in the corners of my mind, waiting. Over and over, their foul chants echo calling across the aeons and vast gulfs of black cosmos. "Iä, Shub-Niggurath!" they cry in inhuman voices like a mouldering wind rushing from the crypts of Erebus. But their hounds will not find me. And even now, I have a fragment of the lost book penned by the mad Arab that can perhaps banish the stains from my memory. Cthulhu ftagn! Nyarlathotep!
The major diffrence between a college and a Uni, fomr what I can gather here in the states is that...well A college is privately fonded and a Unviresity is state fonded, so the latter is cheapier.
In response to Dark_Shadow_Ninja
Clearly, Danny And Tommy were both high when developing BYOND.

My guess is 6
In response to Jmurph
A bit offtopic, but if you want to know the true background of BYOND click here. >_>

O-matic
Well im going todo some research for you guys, as seen on tom's post here; http://members.byond.com/?command=view_post&post=9798 . That means he's got a sense of humor, I would say above 18, below 40

Now this post, http://members.byond.com/?command=view_post&post=4635; Puts his age between 21 and 50,(21 being the age for gambling in nevada)

Now this post, http://members.byond.com/?command=view_post&post=1645; Puts his age between 28 and 45(Below 50 because hes biking, and above 20 because he's wearing a helmet.

Now from that I would say, at the moment, he is between 28 and 45. Dung was started in 1996, so thats 10 years off.

28+45=73
73/2 = 36.5

I would say at the moment tom started dantom at the rip young age of 26-30. Im gunna place my bet at 27. I'd say right now he is 34-38, placing my bet on 35.
As far as I know they have been messing with BYOND since they started college, so 18-20?
In response to Dark_Shadow_Ninja
Universities aren't state funded. <_<

I mean, I dunno if Unviversities recieve extra income from the government or anything, but to go there, you need to pay or get a scholarship. Even then, sometimes you still have to pay for housing and such.

Doesn't it make more sense for a community college to be state funded anyway? You still have to pay to go there.

Unvirsites are stated funded, that dosn't mean that you don't have to pay, you just have to pay a lot less if you live in the state. community colleges are State and Country, and also only two years. (Why else would it be State Unviversite of New York, etc.)
In response to Jmurph
I have battled against the Gug in dream visions, accompanied by a hunter with crystal eyes.

You mean those dreams were real?! Here I thought I was just eating too much pizza before bedtime. IA-with-an-umlaut!!!
I fear the years he chose were entirely abritrary
Page: 1 2