ID:134624

i think that there should be an easier way of coding for all of the newbies, you know just until they get into the complicated stuff.

PS.i was not talking about myself
C0rrupt3d wrote:
i think that there should be an easier way of coding for all of the newbies, you know just until they get into the complicated stuff.

Okay. Now tell us how that's going to work, because I don't see how DM can realistically get any easier. =)
In response to Crispy
Crispys right theres no way the coding can get easyer if you can't figure it out don't code take up mapping or iconing hell when i first used byond i tried to icon i couldn't make a stick man so i went on to coding
In response to Crispy
Crispy wrote:
Okay. Now tell us how that's going to work, because I don't see how DM can realistically get any easier. =)

BYOND 4.0 may actually help in this regard. We're going to allow developers to assign a string to world, reducing the complexity of many games down to one line. We used to brag that you could write a fully networked chat server in two lines:
mob/verb/say(t as text)
world << html_encode("<[src.name]> [t]")

With BYOND 4.0, we'll be able to brag that you can write a fully featured game in just one line of code:
world = "Really awesome game"

That'll be our first tutorial that will ship with the new development environment. It's awesome. To further refine the game, developers will simply add more adjectives to the string. For example, ShapeShifter can be rewritten in 4.0 as:
world = {"Bejeweled, but with 3-d rendered shapes instead of jewels,
a blue border around the board, time bombs, transporters,
anchors, and a row of blocks at the bottom."}
In response to Mike H
hmm thats gonna be a change will you still be able to use world << ""
In response to Mike H
Natural language processing? Wouldn't that incur some slight overhead?
In response to A.T.H.K
A.T.H.K wrote:
hmm thats gonna be a change will you still be able to use world << ""

He was being sarcastic. No compiler can take the sentence "Awesome game with this color border but don't make it clash with the icons. Oh, and turn-based combat." and turn that into a game.
In response to Mike H
Wait, you're kidding... right?
In response to Mike H
Hahahaha.

The funny part is, people actually believed it.

Mike, you win. You really do.
C0rrupt3d wrote, "i think that there should be an easier way of coding for all of the newbies, you know just until they get into the complicated stuff.

PS.i was talking about myself"

Dude, DM is just about the easiest language there is. If people* can't understand it very well, maybe they* are not taking enough time to read through all the provided resources?

*you
BYOND programming is only as hard as you make it. In fact, the more you learn the harder it gets, because you start wanting to make your own stuff instead of using BYOND's built in features (which get kind of cliche after a while). If you make use of the functions BYOND comes with, its really freakin' easy to build stuff. BYOND only gets complicated when you start trying to work around them!

Seriously, look at ZBT and some of the other beginner tutorials. Once you understand the basics (clicked for me in about a week), everything becomes really easy.