In response to CaptFalcon33035
C# would be easier. C++ probably still has an edge in terms of raw power, but you wouldn't need that edge for most purposes. Out of those two I'd probably recommend C# for you (though I haven't actually done any C# myself =)).

Personally I'm liking D at the moment; it's a lot easier to use than C/C++ in the general case but doesn't necessarily sacrifice any power. It's garbage collected, like C#, and has dynamic strings and arrays built-in to the language (rather than implemented as a hack, as seen in the C++ standard library).

You can still get down and dirty with pointers and malloc'ed memory if you feel so inclined - but you'll never have to. And that's the way I like it. =)
In response to Crispy
I was looking at D a couple of months back while looking for a C++ compiler other than Dev C++. I've never really tried it out though. I guess I'll try out C#. Thanks!

And I just looked up the syntax for it. It's excellent, just like DM. This is so much better and easier than I would have expected.

[Edit]
I have Microsoft Visual C# Express installed and I've tried a Hello World program and I've hit Build, but how do I run it? Must I publish a project and and install it everytime I want to run it?
In response to CaptFalcon33035
I am at my school computer, so I can't remember exactly, but it's like in My Documents/Visual Studio blah blah... Anyways, I believe the build location is defined in the program. I don't like the express programs anyways. They force you to use the .NET framework. That's why I stick to good 'ol Visual C++ 6.0
While we're discussing different languages, I'd like to suggest Dr. Scheme to anyone who's interested. Scheme is a very elegant language and can be either interpreted or translated to C, compiled, and strung to machine code. Dr. Scheme is a fully-featured IDE including graduated "beginner" versions of the language and extensive documentation. It's garbage collected, and it also has functionality for error-checking like BYOND's, which will even tell you what part of what line went wrong. It hampers the speed significantly, but turning it off removes the speed reduction entirely.

Other than that, I highly suggest D and C#, both of which offer good results and a syntax and features to remove the tedium of C/C++ programming. Good luck to all!

EDIT: While I'm at it, let me put in a plug for vim. It's a text editor that you can use to create and edit your code files. I use it to develop BYOND, C, and other applications. It takes a little while to get used to, but once you learn your way around it will improve your efficiency, accuracy, and productivity overall.
An awesome (but somewhat slow IMO) GPL'ed (Open Source) .NET environment is available for free at:

http://www.icsharpcode.net/OpenSource/SD/Default.aspx

SharpDevelop. Now you can freely make VB.NET, C++.NET, C#, and other applications without buying any pricey software. :)

~Kujila
In response to PirateHead
I like pnotepad for my programming needs(mostly PHP because it doesn't have a nice GUI editor like most languages) It has some great tools, and even works well for byond projects (We just need comand line compiling for windows!). As for programming languages, I would suggest C++ or Python.
In response to Theodis
Theodis wrote:
Well, now I know the Dev-C++ isn't even running the enviroment. I'll try the Visual Studios as soon as I get home. Maybe even Visual Basic if I'm in the mood for quick application creation.

I suggest avoiding VB and just using C#. VB.NET is pretty much C# with a crappy syntax and despite being so similar it also runs much slower. Besides if you are familiar with DM the C# syntax should feel more natural anyway.

SharpDevelop sports a VB.NET/C# converter, too, which is handy.

~Kujila
Page: 1 2