ID:134784

How many BYOND members are there? How many blog posts? Per day? How many unique "interests" are expressed by BYOND members? How many peoples' Friends lists am I on? How many Friends lists is Tom on? How many comments have been made to blog posts?

<3 statistics, so if you have some extra time I'd love to see some numbers!
PirateHead wrote:
How many BYOND members are there? How many blog posts? Per day? How many unique "interests" are expressed by BYOND members? How many peoples' Friends lists am I on? How many Friends lists is Tom on? How many comments have been made to blog posts?

We have almost 400 members right now. I'd love to see more, so get your friends to sign up!
In response to Tom
How many people have a key on BYOND? I know this is off due to multiple keys, but we can at least get an estimate.
In response to Popisfizzy
Popisfizzy wrote:
How many people have a key on BYOND? I know this is off due to multiple keys, but we can at least get an estimate.

We estimate that we currently have about 15,000 active users. I'd like to strive for a 10% membership rate, so we have a ways to go.
In response to Tom
And at least a quarter, or more, of those keys extra.
Popisfizzy wrote:

No, that's our actual estimate of unique users, based on the number of unique computers and IP addresses that connect in a given week or month. There's plenty of room for error, but we feel we've made a pretty good estimate.

There are over 200,000 keys in the database. Obviously most have been abandoned.

Like Tom said, though, get your friends to sign up so we can reach our goal! :)
In response to Mike H
Oh sure you'll tell him and not me :(
In response to Cowdude
That's cause were special and your have aren't! :)
I sent him $15 though and I'm not special? :(
In response to Cowdude
No, just attempting to bribe him!!!

Unless you mean the membership. In which case, I geuss we're still special.
In response to Mike H
Mike H wrote:
Popisfizzy wrote:

No, that's our actual estimate of unique users, based on the number of unique computers and IP addresses that connect in a given week or month. There's plenty of room for error, but we feel we've made a pretty good estimate.

if you were running on multiple routers, ie given that you had roommates that have ps2's and xbox's that like to play online, would the computers that are on the routers show up as the main computers ip address, or would they be listed as individual router address'?

There are over 200,000 keys in the database. Obviously most have been abandoned.

Like Tom said, though, get your friends to sign up so we can reach our goal! :)
In response to Twizted1
That depends if BYOND searches for internal IP addresses or external IP addresses. With a router, your internal IP is your 'true' IP while your external is the router's IP.
In response to Justin Knight
It uses the router's IP, not the IP's of the computers.
In response to Xzar
Xzar wrote:
It uses the router's IP, not the IP's of the computers.

even though my routers ip is identical to my pc's ip?

ive looked through the router settings, as well as ipconfig and netstat ( for winxp) and i get all of them are the same...so how would you find out the true ip address?
In response to Twizted1
The easyest way is this:
http://www.whatismyip.com/
In response to Xzar
Xzar wrote:
The easyest way is this:
http://www.whatismyip.com/

ahhh i see....true ip is the actual cable's mac or physical address....i dont know what i was thinking about. cool, even i learn new things everyday..
In response to Twizted1
It's not the cable MAC address, a MAC address is "A hardwired address applied at the factory. It uniquely identifies network hardware, such as a wireless PC Card, on a LAN or WAN" - Intel

It is an IP address provided by your ISP. If you removed the router for example you computer IP will be what the router is right now.

The IP behind the router are known as private address, an ISP will never give them out. They are in the ranges:
10.x.x.x, 172.x.x.x, 192.x.x.x

In response to Xzar
Xzar wrote:
It's not the cable MAC address, a MAC address is "A hardwired address applied at the factory. It uniquely identifies network hardware, such as a wireless PC Card, on a LAN or WAN" - Intel

It usually does. Sometimes, in very large networks, it's possible to find multiple devices with the same MAC. Also, lots of devices let you set their MAC address to whatever you want it to be.
In response to Jon88
A MAC address is always unique from the factory. However like you said you can change aka "spoof" a MAC address on a network interface card and other network equipment.

Therefore you will never find multiple devices with the same MAC; you will however see devices that will spoof a MAC address to ensure interoperability in a network. Such an example is an ISP that binds the service to a modem; the user can change another modem to use the same one so it connects. The ISP will think it was the original modem.

a good read can be found here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_address
In response to Tom
Can we have an update?
Page: 1 2 3