ID:186121

Code:
If txtRemoteHost.text = "" Then txtRemoteHost.text = "lummoxjr.byond.com"
If sckClient.State <> sckClosed Then sckClient.Close
sckClient.connect txtRemoteHost.text

Problem description:

I try to connect to JRC. It doesn't work. The code used to work, but for the last three weeks it has not. Attempts to contact the server maintainer via email have failed, and people keep complaining to me to fix the problem, so I'm trying here. :-)
Thanks, GR. It's back up again. I think I'm gonna need to configure the server to restart after reboots or something.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
what is JRC?
In response to Xx Dark Wizard xX
Xx Dark Wizard xX wrote:
what is JRC?

For starters, it's obviously a chatroom.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Thanks, GR. It's back up again. I think I'm gonna need to configure the server to restart after reboots or something.

Great! And yes, I think that's probably a good idea - I thought it did already! In case it does it again, let me know if there's a way you would prefer me to contact you in the future (of course, if here is fine, I'll try here next time).

Don't suppose I could convince you to remove "byee" and "y'all" from the kickban list and maybe promote me to sysop at the same time? It's somewhat frustrating to have to both explain to people they got banned for saying something totally innocuous (to them) and also that they can't come on for 20 minutes and I have no power to do anything about it! Other ops come on so rarely, nowadays. :-/

I'm aware we've not talked for a while, but I'm sure Julianne or Emy could give me a reference or something. :-)
In response to Xx Dark Wizard xX
Xx Dark Wizard xX wrote:
what is JRC?

A long time ago, in a galaxy far away, there was a chat. It wasn't all that good a chat. One man decided to make a stand against all the troubles of the world, and make his own. His name . . . Lummox JR!

I'd go on, but I'm too lazy, so you'll just have to read this instead:
http://creatures.wikicities.com/wiki/JRChat

Suffice it to say, there's more a chat than could ever be written on one line. Indeed, since I started recording logs in 2001 (several years since it started), over a million lines have been written, and around a thousand are every day. Assuming things don't go horribly wrong, it will celebrate its 10-year anniversary in a few years, and I hope I'm still around to be there. :-)
In response to GreenReaper
Whoa..LJR is popular outside of byond..0_0 cool
In response to Mecha Destroyer JD
Lummox JR (aka Lee Gaiteri, LummoxJR)

Whoa... Lummsies has a name too!
In response to Polaris8920
Polaris8920 wrote:

Whoa... Lummsies has a name too!

Maybe he does, but I don't know anyone that uses it. It's just there for completeness, as he has it on some of his own pages, too.

Real names are so 1990. Heck, I had people at the office calling me "GreenReaper" when I arrived at Stardock, because they couldn't remember my real name. :-)
Huh. That would be weird.

On a different note: Gaiteri.
Where is that last name from I wonder?
On a different note: Gaiteri.
Where is that last name from I wonder?

His parents, I would imagine. Although considering I don't have the same last name as any of the <s>four</s> three parents I'm related to by blood or law, I guess that's a bit of an uncertain assumption.
Yes, that would make sense. But I was more focusing on where that last name is from in the world on a global basis.

If you're wondering, I love to find out where last names originated.
HOly shitakes(those things taste good too....)! Lummox is known outside of byond! HE HAS a name...! ANd worse yet....HE PLAYS Creatures! I thought i was the only perp who did...
Alas, this bug has re-appeared. Any chance of a more-permanent fix? Julianne mentioned she'd be willing to take on poking the server up again when it goes down if you told her how.
JRChat has stopped responding again. We were chatting away nicely last Saturday night and all of a sudden the connection died (either failed or timed out). The server remained out of contact for the next 20 minutes, and after that it came back, but the chat did not - connections were refused.

At a guess (and it's just that) the crons are being cleared when the server reboots, or perhaps the server remains up, but the program has lost its socket and isn't recreating it. Either way, JRC has remained offline for two days now so I thought I'd drop you a note. Could you revive it?

Wow, I didn't know I shared a first name with Lummox. That's kinda aweomse, I've never actually met another male with the first name of "Lee"
I've only met them with the spelling "Leigh"
The JRChat server's gone off again after a sudden disconnection (had a good run, three months! :-).

It's been down the past 36 hours. Could you drop by and give it a poke?
It's been down the past 36 hours. Could you drop by and give it a poke?

Thank you. :-)
It's doing it again. I guess it decided to make up for the run of unbroken service by taking a few days off. :-)
. . . and again.

Could you add a cron job to kill it and restart it every week, or something similar? It'd be only slightly annoying to get disconnected, and I could setup JRNet to reconnect if necessary - it's better than having days of downtime, and if it works it means I don't have to keep coming in here asking you to fix it. :-)
Page: 1 2