ID:187799

I searched the fourm and found people had similar problems, but couldn't find the answer.

[jburrell@localhost bin]$ DreamDaemon host 30002 -logself &
[1] 4392
[jburrell@localhost bin]$ DreamDaemon: error while loading shared libraries:
libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I know that It means im missing a package I think, but which one?
I hope that this page helps you some: http://fr.rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/fedora/devel/i386/ libstdc++-3.4.2-2.i386.html

It looks like it's for fedora core 3, but it might work anyways no matter which version.
More than likely, the C++ library included with Fedora is newer than what BYOND was compiled against and therefore incompatible. I doubt there's much that you can do, aside from using a different distribution of Linux.

Ultimately, this is one of the major problems with Linux. There are about a million different versions of it, each using different library revisions, making it nearly impossible to support every single version. We've chosen to support version 6 of the libc libraries (as stated on the download page) since that will work for the most Linux installations out there. Unfortunately some lie outside the range that can use libc6-compiled programs.
In response to Jon88
Alright im gonna try downloading that, but what folder do I put it in after?
In response to Mike H
Hmm, Im trying jon88's idea, would that work?
In response to N1ghtW1ng
It's an RPM file, so you should be able to install it normally like any other RPM. If you're not sure how to do that, RedHat has documentation on their site, and the distro probably has an easy to find link for it somewhere.
In response to Jon88
Well, I finished downloading it, but it won't open...maybe im doing it wrong, i'll look for those instructions
In response to Mike H
so Mike, do you recommend any distros that use the proper version of that library? this knowledge might help others who want to set up byond servers by getting a distro that uses the correct version of the library- one less thing to worry about.

i've had luck with debian-based distros like MEPIS, but i am sure there are others.
In response to digitalmouse
Yeah, and it would be better if they was Newbie-Friendly
digitalmouse wrote:
so Mike, do you recommend any distros that use the proper version of that library? this knowledge might help others who want to set up byond servers by getting a distro that uses the correct version of the library- one less thing to worry about.

i've had luck with debian-based distros like MEPIS, but i am sure there are others.

no-one can suggest a distro that uses the offending lib as a part of it's default installation?
digitalmouse wrote:
digitalmouse wrote:

no-one can suggest a distro that uses the offending lib as a part of it's default installation?

Sheesh, when will you newbies learn not to bump in the first 24 hours... :)

A little googling turned up this page which has a handy table at the bottom. I'm willing to bet that all of the distributions there should work without any problem.

According to this page, somebody is distributing a binary copy of the library along with their commercial software to ensure compatibility. I'll try to research this and make sure it's legal to do so without the viral GPL infecting the BYOND source code. I think it should be ok, and so that may be the answer.
In response to Mike H
Mike H wrote:

Sheesh, when will you newbies learn not to bump in the first 24 hours... :)

yes, i know- i was very torn not to post 6 hours before the end of the day, but it looked as if you missed seeing that earlier post due to nearly 2 pages of off-topic fluff that buried this important thread, when you had posted elsewhere. so i tempted the byond-gos wrath this one time, for a good cause.

A little googling turned up this page which has a handy table at the bottom. I'm willing to bet that all of the distributions there should work without any problem.

According to this page, somebody is distributing a binary copy of the library along with their commercial software to ensure compatibility. I'll try to research this and make sure it's legal to do so without the viral GPL infecting the BYOND source code. I think it should be ok, and so that may be the answer.

looks great! thanks for the help! i noticed in the chart that many of the versions of libstdc are v2.9 or v2.10 - with byond being compiled with v3.0, will they still remain compatible enough to function with byond?
In response to Mike H
Well,i'll wait to see what you turn up, but if that doesn't work out, which distro out of that table do you or any one else recommend for a linux newbie. Dm recommended me Debian I think, but its always good to have a second opinion
In response to N1ghtW1ng
assuming that the library can be v2.10 and not v3, then i'd suggest Mandrake Linux 8.1, it was pretty stable back in it's day, but is the most modern of the distros listed i think.

otherwise the RedHat 7.1 should be good (I did run Chatters and HrH on RedHat 7.2/7.3 ok, i recall)
Hmm, I'm having a hard time finding Mandrake 8.1 to download, also Mike H have you found any more infomation regarding the binary files
In response to N1ghtW1ng
http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/ftp.php3#older

Unfortunately there only seem to be two mirrors that have Mandrake 8.1 any longer; one's in Brazil, and the other one is in the Czech Republic. =P But they should work, if you don't mind your download perhaps being a little slower than usual.
In response to Crispy
yeah I saw that...wasn't sure if it meant it was in Brazilian (If thats a language) or Czechanese (Not sure if that is one either) hmm maybe Czech's speak Russian...I forget...I'll try it a little later
In response to N1ghtW1ng
N1ghtW1ng wrote:
Hmm, I'm having a hard time finding Mandrake 8.1 to download, also Mike H have you found any more infomation regarding the binary files

I haven't had time to research it, but I'll get to it soon! In the meantime, you can try doing a search for the file /usr/lib/libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3. If you can download a copy of just that file from somewhere, you should be able to place it in the same directory as libbyond.so (after you install - the location depends on how you installed). In theory it should then work.
In response to Mike H
Where do I search, google? I'll try that after I post and post my findings. Also after installing byond, I put it in the folder? Or do I have to somehow install that file?

I found This while searching on google. It doesnt list Fedora 2 though, it has Fedora 1, not sure if it would be compatible...I'm not even sure if I found the right thing
In response to N1ghtW1ng
It's in a folder called "en", so I think it's probably in English.

In any case, I think it lets you choose what language you want to use anyway, so even if it isn't in English to start with you can always change it to English. =)
Page: 1 2 3