ID:194201

Internet name, that is..

My internet name used to be 'jam', because my name is Jamie (curses!)... I liked that name, but then a couple of years later, I wanted something more modern and unique, so I thought of a cool word (vortex) and edited a bit, so Vortez came out of it, but I thought it was too much like vortex so I added another z to produce Vortezz. I lived with this for a while, then I started playing Nexus: TK. My name there was Janglur. That was my first registered key on BYOND. I went from Vortezz to Janglur to Vortezz for a bit, then I stuck with Vortezz.

How did your name come to be?

Originally, when I had entered high school in Grade 7 (hey, I lived in a town of 2500 population then), my internet nick was 'Lord J'. Generally, I only used that nick whenever playing games on the school LAN, before the goddamned teachers banned games. >=(

Once that was over and done with, I switched to King Spuzzum. That was because, at the time, I was a proud owner of Warcraft II, and often kicked my friends' arses over, you guessed it, the school LAN (despite it being banned). =)

For a time after that, I switched to the name Nix. I always liked that nickname, and I still do. I've just gotten so used to Spuzzum that I generally stick with it.

So once I encountered BYOND, Spuzzum became my nick-of-choice. That was about five days after iname.com had switched over to mail.com, so I became [email protected]. Which, at the time, sounded like a REALLY cool email address. =)

The real-life "Spuzzum", for those of you who don't know, is the smallest populated Canadian town (AFAIK), with a population of 23. It is located on the Trans-Canada Highway between Yale and Hope. As people like to pun, it is definitely "beyond Hope".

I picked the name Spuzzum because it breeds familiarity; if a British Columbian logs into a chat room and sees the name 'Spuzzum', he or she will probably say 'Hey, there's a town called Spuzzum a few hundred kilometres from where I live'. Then I know that they're British Columbian, and it's much easier to communicate; 'I'm from B.C. too!'

Not that knowing someone lives near you has much of a difference, but its nice to talk to someone about local events and actually have them understand what the heck you're talking about. =)
In response to Spuzzum
I picked the name Spuzzum because it breeds familiarity; if a British Columbian logs into a chat room and sees the name 'Spuzzum', he or she will probably say 'Hey, there's a town called Spuzzum a few hundred kilometres from where I live'. Then I know that they're British Columbian, and it's much easier to communicate; 'I'm from B.C. too!'
=)

Cool! I'm from B.C, too! :o

How cool... I was born in Castlegar, the hot spot of Canada!
In response to Vortezz

http://www.bikegods.org/faq.shtml
In response to Air Mapster
On 7/12/01 4:23 pm Air Mapster wrote:

who is BYONDO?
In response to jobe
On 7/12/01 5:08 pm jobe wrote:
On 7/12/01 4:23 pm Air Mapster wrote:

who is BYONDO?

He is one of that famous pair of overworked and underpaid developers we all know and love. He can identify himself more precisely if he so wishes.
On 7/12/01 1:48 pm Vortezz wrote:
A long time ago, when my friends and I used to play AD&D, I had to come up with a name for my Necromancer character. At the time I had to come up with the name, I was also reading a book called the fifth horseman. The book was pretty good, but it has tons of gramar errors in it and basically, not many people have heard of it. I thought the book was written on something like an 8th grade reading level, but was written for adults because of the content. Anyways, in the book, there was a dude called "The Ebony Shadow Man". The name stuck in my head so I changed it around a bit and got "EbonShadow", which is a really kewl name. Ive been using the name for a long time now.
In response to Deadron
On 7/12/01 2:47 pm Deadron wrote:
http://www.deadron.com/Games/DeadName.html

That's a real interesting story, my name was actually given to me by my odd-ball uncle, it's cleric, I believe.

[If you're searching for this post and noticed I edited it over a year after I posted it, here's the reason; the story I posted was really dumb, and I figured I'd post a better version]

Well, back in 1995 I was [email protected] ("Big Steve" is one of my nicknames at work--long story there), but I decided I was having too many problems with MSN and switched to AOL. I considered the name "bughunter" but rejected it because it sounded too much like challenging Fate, and besides, someone else probably would have taken it already anyway. So I started brainstorming and suddenly "Gughunter" popped into my head. Not only is GUG the initials of the science fiction setting I plan to make into a book or game or something someday, but I actually have hunted gugs before (they're big, scary creatures in an H.P. Lovecraft story).

It was in high school. I had friends visiting and we were bored, so we decided to go for a walk in the woods. But we had to come up with a pretense for it because just going for a walk would have been dull, so we decided to go hunting for gugs. Fortunately we didn't meet any--they would have shredded us.

Anyway, when the name popped into my head, it struck me as perfect. The only flaw exposes itself when I'm asked to explain it, because as you can see, it's not a very compelling story.
My name used to be Kazi because on games like quake 2 or 3 I always rushed straight into enemies shooting evey weapon I could, most of the time shooting my rocket launcher which killed us first. Then I decided to change my name and one of my friends who played AD&D was using the name Georan for his character. I thought it was cool but I decided to remove the ran. another reason I chose Geo is because It means Earth or planet and those are some of my favorite spells and stuff. Sometimes peole say I copied off of Neo from the matrix but they are extremely wrong. The matrix wasn't even out for like a year or two after I chose my name, infact I bet one of the people I killed on quake 2 or another game was thinking of ideas for the matrix or something and took my name.
As some of you know from unsucessful word meanings in Lexiconomy, the name Foomer is derived from the word Foo, which was already taken as a keyname when I attempt to sign up for BYOND the first time, and, in my annoyance, I added 'mer' to the word 'foo', and wound up with 'foomer', which was an unused keyname, and was accepted.

Since for a long time I also didn't know how to make a new keyname, I was stuck with Foomer. By the time I figured out how to make a new key, I was already attached to this name.
In response to Foomer
Well, I have had lots of internet names, but this year, i started using names the most. Before, I used just my AOL screen name, then, my dad blocked off my shiznit, and got it down to like 13, so i couldnt do much, so i used my little bros screen name, suprisingly, my dad didnt mess with his..hmmm, looks like we know whos the favorite =). Anyways, I joined a DBZ RPG, it was my first, it was really cool, At first, my name was Majin Trunks, they said i couldnt have that name, so, i changed it to Cyclone, i added in another character called Titan, and had a scam goin on, i trained off him and shiznit. Then, one day, i must been smokin some weird shiz..... well, i asked (as Cyclone) if i could fuse with Titan, and they found me out, so, everybody hated me, so i went in as Sariat, which is the name of my 3 week old sister =) , actually, her name is Sarai , but, i decided to make it manly, and ended up with Sariat, which sounded to me like a Powerful Warrior or some shiz like that, anyways, the rpg closed down, cuz it was gonna make a mud, so, i decided to make my own dbz rpg, and i was called Guardian Trunks, or G.T. as the members used to call me, then, i saw dbeo, got into byond, and here i am, shiznit and all!
On 7/12/01 1:48 pm Vortezz wrote:

The first time I logged on to the local BBS (Dragon Keep... since gone away... sigh) I had just read the book The Sword of Shannara. One of the characters was named Flick, and he tended to be a bit of a contrarian pain in the ass, so...
Zilal was a character in a "book" I was "writing" in high school. It was just something I made up. I chose it as my AOL screen name when the other names I wanted were taken and I've been using it ever since.

The day I got AIM, I hadn't set up the privacy preferences and someone named Bilal IMed me thinking I was his sister. Turns out Zilal is a female name in Arabic.

Z
In response to Nadrew
well, to be honest, my name came from a book i was going to write a few 8 months ago, it was orignally Nova lce(with an L) then i changed it to prince(as it was in my book)...after a while i was being called 'Lord' so i just stuck with Lord Nova Ice.. ;x
In response to Lord Nova Ice
Botman is my surname. Everyone has always called me Botman. So I use Botman. I occasionally use any of the folowing thou: Hal, Sushi-X, Akira, Jehuty, Urotsukidoji or Tetsuo.
My name came to be cause of the constant sugar flowing through my blood causing me to act all wild and wierd... Thus... WildBlood.

Simple to the point... dont tell the government... They might try taxing me under 2 names then Gah!
In response to Gughunter
On 7/12/01 5:38 pm Gughunter wrote:

Well, back in 1995 I was [email protected] ("Big Steve" is one of my nicknames at work--long story there), but I decided I was having too many problems with MSN and switched to AOL. I considered the name "bughunter" but rejected it because it sounded too much like challenging Fate, and besides, someone else probably would have taken it already anyway. So I started brainstorming and suddenly "Gughunter" popped into my head. Not only is GUG the initials of the science fiction setting I plan to make into a book or game or something someday, but I actually have hunted gugs before (they're big, scary creatures in an H.P. Lovecraft story).

It was in high school. I had friends visiting and we were bored, so we decided to go for a walk in the woods. But we had to come up with a pretense for it because just going for a walk would have been dull, so we decided to go hunting for gugs. Fortunately we didn't meet any--they would have shredded us.

Anyway, when the name popped into my head, it struck me as perfect. The only flaw exposes itself when I'm asked to explain it, because as you can see, it's not a very compelling story.

just for that im going to have to give you great stats in my cthulhu mud....
In response to jobe
just for that im going to have to give you great stats in my cthulhu mud....

I'd settle for a copy of that accursed tome, Everythinge Thou Ever Wouldst Ken Concerning ye Gugges but Feart to Inquire.
Page: 1 2 3 4