ID:136340

Well, like I predicted would happen, I've finally run into a flaw with the BYOND CGI system that cannot be exceeded through any means (known to me); the URL string length limitation.

Forms can only accept so much data in their text fields before it breaches the string length limit when done on the world-wide-web.

For example, my page making form has just one form attribute: pagehtml. In this attribute, I type the contents of the webpage. Unfortunately, when this pagehtml field reaches several kilobytes in length (which, ordinarily, is not a really unreasonable length), submitting the form yields a browser error, due to the fact that BYOND CGI attempts to convert the whole pagehtml field into a URL:

blah.dmb?type=/Form/NewPage;pagehtml=Well%20like%20I%20predi cted...

...and this breaches the character limit.

Is there *any* way this can be exceeded? Limiting my pages to have less than a couple kilobytes of data would seriously hinder the ease-of-use for potential viewers, because I would have to separate pages into multiple sections. Failing that, I'd have to scrap the online page creation system and resort to offline generation. Neither of those options are options I'd like to consider. =P
Dantom: I demand POST! Deliver it at once or suffer the consequences!
POST! POST! POST!

*cough* I mean... um.... it'd be, you know.. nice.. if we had.. like POST capabilities, or something. No pressure!

-AbyssDragon
I have no clue what Im talking about when it comes to BYOND CGI, but would it be possible to write the data to a file, then load the file instead (Using BYOND CGI, or some other means)?
-DogMan
In response to Dog Man
Possible, certainly, but practical, certainly not. =)
In response to AbyssDragon
AbyssDragon wrote:
Dantom: I demand POST! Deliver it at once or suffer the consequences!
POST! POST! POST!

*cough* I mean... um.... it'd be, you know.. nice.. if we had.. like POST capabilities, or something. No pressure!

-AbyssDragon

It's in there. Check out htmllib's form_method variable, which should allow you to specify "post".
In response to Deadron
Deadron wrote:
It's in there. Check out htmllib's form_method variable, which should allow you to specify "post".

But does it actually work? The last I'd heard, POST support didn't exist even if you explicitly set the form to use it.

Lummox JR
Can someone write a tutorial on how to integrate BYOND CGI with a server(window)i realize they very but i can self translate. Also a demo or two on things that can be done with BYOND CGI, because i dont understand how to work it, although it should be simple, i just dont understand.
In response to Scoobert
As many times as I've attempted to install BYOND CGI on my Windows server, I've failed, even with the guidance of Tom, I had no success. Dan or Tom would probably be the only people able to write a demo of the sort (which I think they should when they're not so busy).

Also, back in the archives of BYONDscape, there's a demo by me explaining the basics of BYOND CGI.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Deadron wrote:

But does it actually work? The last I'd heard, POST support didn't exist even if you explicitly set the form to use it.

Lummox JR

Haven't tried it, though I know Dan thinks it works, since he wants me to use it for Bwicki (just haven't gotten to it).
In response to Deadron
Well I'll be chuggered.

(Ah, gotta love British slang.)
In response to Lummox JR
According to the documentation, it works over the web. You can't make a POST operation to Dream Seeker or Dream Daemon, but you can make a POST operation to the BYOND common gateway interface over the web.

Whether the documentation matches that of the actual behaviour will be tested in a few minutes when I indoctrinate the changes into my website. =P
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
As many times as I've attempted to install BYOND CGI on my Windows server, I've failed, even with the guidance of Tom, I had no success.

Say no more. :)

/Gazoot
In response to Gazoot
That's what he was asking =P.